About Our Not-for-Profit Life Plan Community
Celebrating the art of living for over 30 years.
Pomperaug Woods, Southbury’s only not-for-profit LifeCare retirement community, began as the dream of Dr. Elizabeth Wilson (1912-2014). She held a B.A. in English from Syracuse University, an M.A. in nutrition from Columbia University, a Master’s in Public Health from M.I.T., and a doctorate in education from the University of Washington.
In 1979, Dr. Wilson approached Life Care Services® to suggest development of a LifeCare community in Southbury, Connecticut. In 1981, Pomperaug Woods was incorporated. Land clearing began in 1986, and the health center was completed and licensed in 1988.
Today, Pomperaug Woods is home to intelligent, positive, creative people who define The Art of Living. And Dr. Wilson’s dream continues to live on in the wonderful sense of reassurance that comes from knowing you’ve found a Life Plan Community that’s exactly right for you or someone you care for.
It’s easy to see what sets our community apart:
- A spirited and uplifted lifestyle with a multitude of opportunities to get involved, enjoy friendships, and pursue things that interest you — at an all-in-one predictable monthly fee.
- Gracious living with services and amenities that exceed expectations.
- The Art of Living Well, our innovative, research-based wellness program with over 90% resident participation.
- All the benefits of LifeCare — a secure and reassuring life plan with priority access to on-site health services, if ever needed.
What not-for-profit means at Pomperaug Woods
When you live at Pomperaug Woods, you’ll never be asked to leave for financial reasons. Other benefits of our not-for-profit status include:
- All profits are directed toward continual updates and improvements within our community.
- Local executive leadership and a local board of directors composed of medical, professional and community leaders share our residents’ commitment to active involvement in the wider community.
- Over 30 years of continuous and exceptional financial stability, backed by Life Care Services®, An LCS® Company, a national leader in the development and management of not-for-profit senior living communities for more than 50 years.
- A local commitment that is evident in our exceptionally long-tenured staff — from housekeeping to management. This level of dedication shapes every aspect of our community, with an unwavering commitment to resident satisfaction.
Contact us by completing the form on this page to learn more about Pomperaug Woods, the only not-for-profit LifeCare retirement community in Southbury, CT.