We’re used to hearing the terms memory care and assisted living, but what is secure assisted living? Quite simply, it’s a long-term memory care option that offers a higher level of safety measures for seniors experiencing beginning to moderate stages of Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia.
So what does it mean when communities offer secure assisted living for memory care?
Secure assisted living means a community offers a safe, serene space for memory care residents to feel calm while their needs are taken care of by trained staff with the experience and expertise to provide the right level of support no matter what stage of dementia a resident is experiencing. Secure assisted living units can be stand-alone or be part of a larger senior living campus, hospital, or nursing facility.
What are the benefits of secure assisted living?
Person-centered secure assisted living offers a warm, therapeutic environment in which those with memory loss can remain as independent as possible for as long as possible while navigating their memory loss journey.
Benefits for residents:
- Active, independent lifestyle for as long as possible
- Dignity and a sense of pride and accomplishment in day-to-day activities
- Engaged eating with specialized diets
- Self-worth, self-esteem, and overall health and well-being
- Reduced fear, anxiety and frustration
Benefits for family members:
- Know your loved one has the best quality of life possible
- Return to the loving relationship you once shared
- Opportunity to make the most of your time together
- Resources, counseling and other services
What to look for in secure assisted living.
Not all memory care options are created equal. In-home care may seem like the best choice, until you realize it is a 24/7 job that gets very expensive very quickly. Another disadvantage of in-home care is that it usually doesn’t focus on personalized programming and dining options. In general, while this may sound like a great option, in-home care just can’t provide the level of support throughout the entire memory loss journey that a secure assisted living community can.
At a minimum, look for a memory care program that offers:
- Support from certified nursing assistants in activities of daily living, including bathing, grooming, dressing, eating
- Medication management by nursing professionals
- Nutritious chef-prepared meals
- Dementia-friendly programs and activities
- Nursing staff available 24/7
- Vital sign and blood pressure checks
- Transportation coordination to medical appointments
- Regular housekeeping
Pomperaug Woods offers secure assisted living in Southbury, CT.
At Pomperaug Woods, we call our approach to memory care Heartfelt Connections – A Memory Care Program®. Whether you call it secure assisted living or memory care assisted living, all that matters is that our residents proudly call it home. If you’d like to know more about our innovative approach to secure assisted living, let’s get in touch. We’d love to show you around the neighborhood.